/ Fragrant Steamed Rice in Lotus Leaves
It is a rice preparation where the rice is cooked in lotus leaves thus imparting fragrance to the rice. Cabbage leaf or spinach leaves can be used as a substitute.
|Long grain rice
|Spring onions (chopped)
|Light soy sauce
|Chinese rice wine
- Cut the lotus leaves into halves and soak them in hot water for around 30 mins until it softens.
- Soak the mushrooms in warm water for 20 - 25 mins.
- Boil rice along with cinnamon sticks, cardamom, cloves and salt for 10 mins till the rice is partially cooked. Drain and remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Cook the lightly beaten eggs in wok and keep aside.
- Drain and squeeze out the excess water from the mushrooms, cut the stalks and chop the caps. Now add to the rice, mushrooms, eggs, spring onions, soy sauce, rice wine sugar and sesame oil. Season with salt.
- Drain the lotus leaves and divide the rice mixture into 4 portions. Place a portion in the centre of each leaf and fold up to form a parcel. Steam in a steamer for 20 mins.
- Serve hot with the leaf.